Saturday, January 2, 2010
New Year's Resolutions
Every year, I hear about people making their New Year Resolutions. However, they are mostly things that people do not want to do. I on the other hand use this time to check a few things off of my bucket list. Why do I have a bucket list many ask me. Well I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS), plus I am human. I know that I am not immortal and will die... eventually. Also, with the EDS, I have so much metal and plastic in my body that my children tease me and tell me that they will just take me to the recycling plant when I die, which should cover my funeral expenses... Any way, I do not want to live my life afraid of being in pain or broken. Truth is, I am always in pain and about once a month, I am dislocated or have broken something. So why should I live my life discouraged and crippled?
First.... Last years bucket list
1. Get out of a wheel chair and relearn to walk.... Was in wheel chair for 4 months, Was out on 2/10/2009.... Done (The rehab and learning how to walk again was tricky, but I got it done!
2.Walk in the Walk For life 10k..... done on 4/2/2009
3. Hike 50 trails..... Trail number 50 completed 11/1/2009
4. Cliff jump 100ft.... Done, many times over the fourth of July weekend, what a blast, only cost me a dislocated shoulder
Now this year, money and joints permitting....
1. Tandem Skydive.... the jump and fall should be a piece of cake, the landing might be a little tricky.
2. Hike another 50 trails.... advance from medium to hard
3. Learn to play tennis.... with my physical limitations, friend has suggest playing doubles with me in front... we see how it goes, but I want to play in one competition match.
4. Go to Alaska and watch the whales, not so sure on cost, but going to give it one heck of a try!!!
4. See if I can give my orthopedic a heart attack when he asks about my bucket list (smile)... last year he threatened to disown me
Happy New Year to all of you, and I hope you have atleast one thing that you want to do on your list. Life is short!!!