Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Guess Again!!! No vacation for you...

48 year old women presents to the ER after a syncope episode at her youngest child's graduation party. The patient and husband have been planning for years to take off and travel the world once there children are out of the home and in college. Both are telling us their plans of where they are going, when, and promising to send a post card. Their one concern is the syncope. Husband is worried that wife might just be worn down and needing the vacation. While wife is worried that she has come down with something that will postpone their plans. After her tests the doc went in to give the grim news. Your plans will be postponed, but congrats, you are pregnant. The look on their faces told the story, they were in shock, they did not want any more kids, and they did not believe us. We ended up retesting with blood, urine, and an ultrasound to prove it to them. To them their world has ended and they will not be a trip around the world this year.

2 comments:

  1. Awwwww. This makes me REALLY sad. I can't imagine having another child now, after my daughter has grown up. I CAN imagine being a grandmother (except hey! I'm too young!) but new motherhood at this time in my life?! Oh, man.

    I wonder how that poor, shocked couple will handle this?
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that would be a shock! That's why I'm using bullet-proof birth control till I'm 50 at least (Mirena IUD) My youngest just graduated (I'm 46) and I can't imagine starting over now!
    YIKES!

    ReplyDelete