Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Carrot cake

I get immune to the sounds of the emergency room. Call lights, alarms, shouts, vomiting, babies crying, and so on. However, for some reason they stuck out today. It all started when my code pager went off. I took off from triage and sprinted towards the back. it went something like this:

pager alarming, beeping from the badge scanner to get through locked doors, pages over head for code team stat to room 6, pyxis door buzzing as it opens, ran past a crying baby, women complaining about wait time, man asking for blanket, and what sticks out the most is in room 9 I overheard the doc agreeing with the alzheimer's patient that carrot cake was the best. Not really sure why I thought this was so funny or even worth blogging about. To me it just demonstrates how many different things are going on at the same time in the er, and most of them have nothing to do with each other.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes your brain finds the humanity to get through the insanity. I love your blog. Let's a future nurse find the coming humor in a serious job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm that is an interesting thought. And take note its not just in ER but even in our daily existence, there are different things that are happening at the same time that has nothing to do with each other. I guess life in the ER and the lives of people in hospital uniforms are hectic, same with human's existence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...I once overhead one of my partners arguing with a patient about an apple pie recipe. When he walked out of the room, I grilled him..."Really, Mac, arguing over a recipe???" We both howled from laughing.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember the Calvin & Hobbes where the phone rings and Calvin answers it, saying, "I'd like to order a pizza!" ? Then turns to the front,
    saying, "I like to put a little surreality in everyone's day."

    That's why you remember it. A little surreality helps brighten everyone's day.

    ReplyDelete